Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Perfect Mother's Day

When my family asks me this year, "What do you want for Mother's Day?" I will reply, "Don't get me anything." What I want is a perfect day, the kind of day that you can't buy at the mall and you can't wrap with beautiful paper or fancy bows. The old adage that the best things in life are free is certainly true.

464390_coffee_and_flowersMy perfect day would begin with my family delivering a breakfast tray to my bedroom around 8:00 a.m. The tray would contain a hot cup of coffee, scambled eggs and toast with butter. My favorite sections of the newspaper would be folded neatly and placed on the side of the tray. For the next forty-five minutes to an hour I would be allowed to read and eat in bed without interruptions.

To me, Mother's Day is a day to celebrate being a mother. So I would want to spend the day with my husband and two children. My peaceful breakfast could be followed up by a family walk with our dog, Molly, or a family bike ride to a nearby park. Both activities are completely free and require nothing more than good weather.

I love surprises, so I would love for my family to surpirse me with an outing planned just for me. When I say an outing planned for me, I mean no hidden agendas for my husband or my kids. It would mean so much to me if they planned an activity that I would enjoy like a picnic lunch at the park, a trip to the zoo, or a visit to a new exhibit at an art museum. I think the key ingredient is that the other members of my family unselfishly give up their time to do something that I enjoy.

I love my "quiet" time, so an afternoon spent reading in a comfortable chair would be perfect. I could curl up with a blanket, a hot cup of tea, and a stack of books and magazines. What would my family be doing during my "quiet" time? I have a few suggestions. They could start a load of laundry or run the vacuum over the floor. What will they not be doing? Well, they won't be arguing over who has to do chores and they won't be asking me to drive them anywhere.

A perfect day wouldn't be complete without a perfect dinner. I don't mean going out to dinner at a fancy restaurant. A simple dinner at home would be just as nice, if I get a one day reprieve from cooking the meal and cleaning up afterward. My husband could grill some steaks or chicken on the grill. My kids could make a salad and baked potatoes. Enjoying a leisurely meal with my family is a luxury that we don't always have time for.

I know I'm asking for the moon now, but a family movie would round out a perfect day. It would be nice to watch a classic like, "The Sound of Music," or "The Wizard of Oz". Gathering everyone into the living room together would be a nice change of pace from our usual hectic evening schedule.

I feel more relaxed already just thinking about the perfect Mother's Day. I don't know if it will ever become a reality, but I can dream can't I? Happy Mother's Day to all of you mothers out there. I hope you have the perfect day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home