Thursday, June 08, 2006

HISTORICAL STORY STARTERS

Try imagining yourself living during a different time period. Use the writing prompts to write a story with a historical perspective.

covered wagon

1. (Dust Bowl: Oklahoma) Today the dust blew so hard our fields looked like sand dunes. Ma and pa say we might have to move to California like all the other families. I don’t want to leave.

2. (Pioneer) Pa is loading the wagon again. He keeps searching for wide open spaces. I like living by other families, but he seems restless. “Where is Kansas?” I ask him.

3. (Civil Rights Movement) “Daddy says a man named Martin Luther King is coming over for dinner. He wants to talk about black and white children going to our elementary school together. I think it’s a great idea.”

4. (Mayflower – Pilgrims) It has taken months to cross the ocean. I never want to see water again. I can’t wait to get to America, the land of plenty.

5. (Oklahoma Land Rush) Pa told me that when the starter gun sounds we can race for our free land. I still can’t believe the land is free. Ma told me to lay down in the wagon because we’re going to be moving very fast. What an exciting adventure this will be.

6. (Civil War) Today I had to hide in the root cellar because we saw union soldiers crossing the land on our plantation. I hope nothing happens to Ma while Pa is away at the war.

7. (Women’s Liberation) My mom got a job today. I’m not sure how I feel about that. There have been a lot of changes in my house since she marched for Women’s Liberation.

8. (Gold Rush) Daddy says he will send for us when he strikes it rich in California. I wish I could go with him right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home